Anderson Valley School
The Peachland School, circa 1925
Con Creek School (The Little Red Schoolhouse)
For the 15 years prior to 1891, the Con Creek School District had a school south of this school/museum. One day the red haired schoolteacher of that school, Annie McGimsey said, “Pick up your books. We’re moving to the “new” school.”The “new” school was our beloved school/museum, known today as The Little Red Schoolhouse.
The school functioned as an eight grade, one room school until 1941. It even served dual purposes during some of those early years, with records showing that an organ was housed in the school and Preacher Shaw held services there. It served as the classroom for the 7th-8th grades from 1941-1947. Over the next decade the school met many needs, serving as an overflow location for the changing elementary school enrollment and ultimately becoming the location of the kindergarten.
During those years, the school faced west, bordering The Old Highway (Anderson Valley Way). It was painted white with green trim. The long porch was added after the 1906 earthquake. The back room was added in 1940 as a library. A quonset hut was added during the decade of changing elementary school enrollment.
Then, in 1963, the State Division of Highways was preparing to build a new road and by-pass Anderson Valley way. When rights of way were purchased for the new expressway, it was necessary to move the building slightly and give it a quarter turn. The building was moved and put on a permanent foundation. The customary white coat was changed to red. On November 3, 1963, the Anderson Valley Unified Schools held a Program of Rededication of Con Creek School.
It continued to operate as a kindergarten through 1979. So, almost 90 years after the first children moved in, the last kindergarten class graduated.
The Community Services District purchased the school in 1979, with an agreement that it would be leased to the Anderson Valley Historical Society for use as a museum. In October of that year, it was placed on The National Register of Historical Landmarks. On July 4, 1980, The Anderson Valley Historical Society held a dedication ceremony and picnic. Thus, Con Creek School continues to operate as an educational facility, housing the history of Anderson Valley.
Note: Blanche Brown was the teacher from 1928 through 1947. Teachers following Blanche included Ella and Eva Farrer, Hazel Nobel, Miss Krampholz and Lena Titus. From September 1960 to early 1978 there were two Barbaras teaching, Barbara June & Barbara Ingram. Mrs. Ellen Tinkler was the last teacher at Con Creek School.
Bibliography: Whatever Became of the Little Red Schoolhouse, Alice Holmes, Con Creek School A Memory Trip, Elinor Heath Clow.
Book Note: Whatever Became of the Little Red Schoolhouse, narrated, compiled and edited by Alice Holmes with assistance from Joanne Matson, shares rural Mendocino County School History and is available through the Historical Society.